For the longest time, I absolutely dreaded clothes shopping. After having 4 boys, I continued to carry the weight several years later . I was perfectly content in yoga pants and a t-shirt at home and scrubs at work. Unfortunately, this did nothing for my self-esteem, when I often found myself surrounded by petite women in stylish clothes. They were everywhere from the grocery store to school events and the boy’s sporting events. I realized that I could lose weight or find clothing that actually flattered my new plus-sized figure. Let me fill you in on what I learned.
There are many places online that offer plus size clothes at a discount for us. While it can be hard to take the first step if you do it right, it can be a painless and fun experience. Try to find clothes using the following guidelines that I have created and personally use whenever I go clothing shopping.
1. Tops with empire weights are quite apt at making you appear taller and slimmer. They sit higher than the natural waist line and the results are really amazing. They are perfect for hiding thick thighs and tummy bulges.
2. A tunic-length shirt (such as a body hugging, button-down) looks great when paired with a pair of cropped trouser pants. Opting to wear heels makes you look even better because they elongate your legs.
3. An expert tailor comes in very handy. It is extremely difficult and frustrating to find clothes that fit perfectly without a little help. This is especially true with pants and jeans, otherwise known as the two items of clothing most likely to cause a meltdown in a department store.
4.It’s true that black, gray, and brown can make you appear slimmer, but don’t be afraid to add a splash of color. It gives a bit of life to an otherwise bland outfit.
5. Clothes shouldn’t be too tight….or too baggy. It can be tempting to hide your body behind clothes that are way too big, but they actually make you look larger. This is also true if you are looking for prom dresses under $100.
6. Skinny, horizontal strips can look fabulous. Just look for a stretchy fabric that is not too tight or too loose. Make sure the dominant color is a darker hue.
7. Maxi dresses that graze the floor are adorable, especially during the summer. The empire waste is perfect for hiding problematic stomach areas. You can even wear them in the winter with a cardigan.
8. Wraps with v-necks are super flattering. They draw attention to your cleavage (which is frequently ample in plus-sized women) and can make your waist appear smaller.
9. Accentuate with cute accessories. Stay away from chokers. Opt for delicate, long chains that draw the eye down and elongate the body. Bright scarfs are perfect for hiding tummy rolls and are a terrific way to add a little color to your outfit.
10. Make certain your undergarments are the right size. Simply put, your clothes fit better when you have on the correct size bra and panties.
11. Buy clothing made from high quality fabrics that give you a more structured look. Cheap fabrics can stretch and cling. Cottons and silks are more structured and give less.